THE OOPS


The first immersive/intensive reading that I conducted was--apropos of the project's origins--Joe Hall's The Devotional Poems, which I transformed into The Oops.

My immersive/intensive reading began in epistolary fashion, addressing Joe directly on the inside title pages. Subsequently, I began to conduct erasures of his poems, insert paste-ins, create concrete poems, append new lines to his poems, and add a variety of quotations and snippets from other texts. With his poem "Post-Nativity," I provided "Explanatory Notes" and renamed the poem "Homage to Joe Hall" (which was an homage to Spicer's "Homage to Creeley / Explanatory Notes"). There is also a long "Proximity," which takes on characteristics of a lyirc essay and comprises a large portion of book's middle section. As the book progressed, I included visual collages and found objects (e.g. coffee grounds) into the fabric of the artifact and its text.

Joe posted a short write-up of this project on his blog several months later that contains detailed scans of a few pages. You can check out the images and read Joe's thoughts on The Oops here.


CHAPTER 02: Your Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment